Avocados often get a bad reputation for being high in fat, but this is actually just a myth. In fact, many restaurants are now recommending avocado spreads in their meals instead of mayonnaise as a healthier option.
Here are some other important health benefits that many of us don’t already know about avocados.
- Avocados are high in monounsaturated fats which help to lower cholesterol. This is where the bad rap comes from. While they are “high in fat”, this is the GOOD kind of fat that our bodies actually need.
- Avocados are one of the most vitamin-rich foods on the planet, high in vitamins A, C, D, E, K, B-6, B-12 and 6 other types of B Vitamins.
- Avocados have more potassium that even bananas, 30% more in fact. Potassium is great for regulating our blood pressure and for preventing several types of circulatory disease.
- Avocados are high in fluorine, a chemical that our body uses to fight off disease and infection from normal germs and viruses. Fluorine also helps to keep our teeth and bones from becoming brittle.
- Avocados are good for the eyes. The lutein found in avocados helps to improve our eyesight and reduce the risks of macular degeneration and cataracts as we age.
- Avocados help fight many forms of cancer. The phytonutrients and oleic acids found in this magical fruit have been proven to help prevent prostate and breast cancer, two of the deadliest forms of all.
- And last, but not least, avocados are high in antioxidants which helps to flush our systems of noxious chemicals and toxins. They can even help to cure bad breath!